A Brief History of Lindleys Autocentres & Mr R B Lindley
Schools: King edward VI Grammar & Lincoln School. Left Christmas 1951 to pursue a career in architecture.
Richards father had a stroke, although he returned to work he never fully recovered and died in 1958 so Richard had to leave his course in architecture to help with his dads business. With little success his mother was forced to sell their home.
Richard was approached by Lincs County Council wanting to buy the garage to be demolished for road widening. Gratefully Richard's mother accepted and H. B Lindley Motor Engineer, est 1928, ceased to exist.
Richard Moved to Nottingham. He went to work at John Players in the Engineers Dept. The people there found out that he was a motor Mechanic and he got a lot of requests to repair their cars. Richard rented a small workshop at rear flats 67, North Rd, West Bridgeford.
Richard was soon offered a job as a manager by one of the residents of the flats, a John Campbell who worked for A.V Caldwell Diesel Engineers of Ruddington, who also owned a garage on Lower Parliament Street, now a filling station. Whilst working as manager he built up a good customer base, the main one being Jessops. He used to service all their vehicles at night when they were in the garage.
Things were not working out at Caldwell’s so Richard contacted Jessops to find out if he left could he carry on servicing their vehicles. He got the OK so with the customers He still had from Player, he rented some stables at the back of 44 Dickinson St. St Ann’s. On his first day, Richard made £7.00.
Rented and moved to a premises on Cromwell Terrace, St Ann’s.
With the threat of the St. Ann’s clearance, richard moved to Peveril Terrace on Alfreton Rd.
Moved to 66 Carlton Road.
David Joined the business full time, after working part time for several years.
Richard finally bought his first garage after many years of renting. Furlong St. Arnold.
Richard Retired in 2000 and David took over.
R B Lindley & Son now being ran by David Lindley, bought 55 Church Street in Old Basford, where they still are today. The business experienced a rapid growth and went from 2 employees to around 10.
David’s son, Alex also joined the company at the age of 16.
R B Lindley & Son Limited celebrated their 50th anniversary this year and are still going strong!
Apart from a short break in 1957, the Lindley family has been in the motor trade for over 80 years!
R B Lindley opens their first MOT bay.
After seeing great success with the MOT bay and after two years already averaging 8 MOTS a day, R B Lindley & Son Ltd acquires Arnold Tyres, opens a second branch and re-brands as Lindleys Autocentres LTD.
Lindleys autocentres second branch opens their MOT bay